Time issues - important, please note
- Please read about the time you might need for a divorce dispute, for business and all other disputes.
- Divorce and other relationship disputes are best mediated in a morning, afternoon or evening session. It is usually better to have a second session than to undergo the tiring process of an all-day negotiation.
- For your divorce or separation, we recommend that you book 2 x three hour sessions at the outset. If you succeed in negotiating a satisfactory settlement after a single session, then you may cancel the second session. We will then refund in full, money paid for that second session. If the third session is needed, we will do our utmost to find a mutually acceptable time at the earliest date.
- The best procedure for a commercial conflict has been proven to be a mediation which starts by the mediator spending time assessing documents, cases and legal application, followed by a full or half day live meeting.
- The Mediator will always need time to assess what you have told him in completing the Request to Mediate form and to assess documents. Add time spent on preliminary discussion with you and you will find all of that will rarely amount to less than 30% of the total time we charge. From there, your mediation will move forward either all face-to-face; or part online finishing with a live meeting. In some cases it may be possible to conclude a settlement entirely online.
- When the mediation meeting runs over time, particularly into an evening, you can be sure that the Mediator will be willing and able determinedly to persist in pressing you to achieve a settlement, for as long as you are happy for the meeting to continue. By contrast, a morning meeting is not flexible.
- It is in the nature of the mediation service that it is impossible to prejudge precisely how long the participants will wish to speak on each of multiple occasions. Despite the Mediator’s willingness to spend time in preparation for your live mediation meeting, there can be no guarantee that the usual one day mediation meeting can be reduced to a half day.
- In any event, it will not always be possible to extend a half day meeting. We therefore strongly advise that you book a full day for any but the most simple dispute.
- If the value of your dispute, as judged by you, does not justify the mediation cost of a full day, then the Mediator will make every possible effort to condense the entire proceeding into the time you will have agreed with him in your telephone discussion.
- When the mediation meeting runs over time, particularly into an evening, you can be sure that the Mediator will be willing and able determinedly to persist in pressing you to achieve a settlement, for as long as you are happy for the meeting to continue.
- We provide a high quality professional service. Our fee is based on time booked but if your mediation runs over, we don’t send you another bill for an extra £50. However, an additional fee will always be payable if the Mediator’s time spent runs substantially over the time booked.
- We will not accept a booking where, in the Mediator’s opinion, the work cannot be completed within the time booked.
- Prices listed on this page and other information about what we do is non-contractual and is subject to the terms in our mediation agreement. Prices do not include VAT.
- If the advantages of online mediation are attractive to you, that can be arranged. Time face-to-face can be reduced or eliminated but it still takes the Mediator as long to communicate via email or Internet as it does in a live meeting.
- Of course an online mediation may well take place over a specific number of hours, it may also be spread over several days . It is therefore impossible to allocate specific time in the mediator’s diary. Nonetheless the mediator has the work to do. Please therefore allocate a three hour slot. We will then discuss the likely time requirement when we have assessed your Request to Mediate form
- In assessing our charge, do please remember that time spent face-to-face is only part of the work done by the Mediator. We charge a price to mediate your dispute. We cannot guess how long that will take.
- When you have booked, we shall hold the date for seven days. If neither party has paid by then, we shall clear the date. Of course you can re-book a new date. If you want multiple dates, for example for divorce mediation, please email us.
- Your reservation will trigger our detailed explanation of what happens next.
- If ongoing, online discussion is fruitful, the Mediator may, in his discretion, continue in that mode. That may result in a shorter live meeting than booked.
- Of course, we can conduct online mediation anywhere in the English-speaking world.
Face to face meetings
Includes our preparation time, assessing documents, communication with you and the meeting itself.
|Meeting time you book in diary||Total Mediator work time, inc preparation||£s fee per party|
|8 hrs - full day||Up to 12 hrs||750|
|4 hrs - morning||Up to 6 hrs||380|
|3 hrs - afternoon / eve - weekday||Up to 5 hrs||280|
|3 hrs - afternoon /eve - weekend||Up to 5 hrs||380|
For domestic and divorce mediation, the Mediator’s home may be available as a venue. Enquire: firstname.lastname@example.org
Online mediation with optional online meeting to conclude
Includes our preparation time, assessing documents, communication with you and online meeting if circumstances require that. When you book an online mediation, you are booking the allocation of the Mediator’s total personal time, NOT the duration of a proposed meeting.
Total Mediator work
time you book in diary
|£s fee per party|
|Up to 2 hrs||120|
|Up to 3 hrs||180|
|Up to 4 hrs||240|
|Up to 6 hrs||360|
|Up to 8 hrs||480|
|Up to 12 hrs||720|
Low value, money only, telephone / email mediation
Includes our preparation time and communication with you, largely by telephone in a series of calls at an agreed time
|Value of dispute||£s fee per party|
|£1,000 or less||50|
|£1,001 to £5,000||100|
|£5,001 to £25,000||225|
To book your mediation: (we guide you all the way)
|Step 1||For your “family”/divorce mediation, please give us basic information at the Request to Mediate divorce page. For your business and all other types of mediation, please provide the information at the Request to Mediate business page.|
|Step 2||Read this page, agree a date and book it in the Mediator’s Diary.|
|Step 3||Ask your conflict party to give us his/her information on the Request to Mediate page.|
|Step 4||We'll send you an invoice asking for payment via bank transfer.|
What is included in the price
- Administration and office expenses.
- The Mediator’s time spent reading your documents and general preliminary case preparation.
- The Mediator’s time spent with you either at a live mediation or alternatively in continuing online communication.
- Time spent by the Mediator in drawing memorandum of understanding or heads of terms to conclude your agreement.
- Venue hire is not included if we arrange it.
- Prices charged assume that in any meeting there will be a 15 minute break every 90 minutes. Need longer? Food and drink? You decide.
- Travel time is charged separately, only after we have calculated the sum due, if any.
- There is no travel charge for any venue within 20 miles of Norwich Cathedral.
- Outside 20 miles, the Mediator’s time and travel by car are together charged at £1/mile. Transported by train is charged at cost plus time at £60 per hour .
- When a travel charge is due, it is calculated and payable after the event.
Travel outside the UK
Substantial mediation requiring work over days or weeks, or “live” meeting outside the UK: price = daily rate plus expenses. We will provide an estimate when we have been able to talk to you.
The Mediator will always try to accommodate requests for urgency “the impossible takes a little longer”. If you ask us to go beyond that to a situation requiring a temporary change of life style, night work or Sunday work or strange circumstances, we will still do our best to help. It will cost you a little more.
Prices for negotiation services and other less common requirements
Please contact us