There are many software apps on the market. Some of them are complicated. The reason may be that they have to cover every US state. However, EU and UK law on this subject is simple and straightforward.
We use www.SignEasy.com . We have prepared this page to tell you how it works. You will probably not need this instruction, but at least it will give you reassurance that the process is extremely simple.
You can create a perfectly binding document to exchange and agreement via email, but it is likely to be more acceptable, with less fuss, if you use a signing service.
You can use SignEasy for any document. It’s not just for formal, typed versions. You can use it to confirm acceptance or agreement of any file capable of being marked. Use is free.
You can use this software on any device, but for a phone, you will probably need to download an app.
With just a little care, electronic signatures are now legally binding almost everywhere in the World. Here are some examples.
The Electronic Identification and Trust Services for Electronic Transactions Regulation, 2016 and the Electronic Communications Act, 2000 make electronic signature legal for businesses around the United Kingdom. SignEasy is compliant with the electronic signature laws in the United Kingdom.
Starting July 1, 2016, the prevailing EU directive on electronic signatures, termed the eSignatures Directive 1999/93/EC, was replaced by the new Regulation (EU) No. 910/2014 on electronic identification and trust services called the eIDAS regulation. It assures progress in online transactions for individuals, businesses, and public administrations in two areas: electronic identification services and trust services. SignEasy is compliant with the eIDAS.
In the United States, the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act (UETA) 1999 and the Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act (ESIGN) 2000 admits the validity and enforceability of electronic signatures. SignEasy is compliant with the ESIGN Act.
SignEasy say they comply with the above laws and protocols.
What happens as a recipient
It is up to the participants to decide who will manage the signing process. The Mediator is very happy to do so if both the participants agree. That makes each participant a recipient in the process. This is what happens.
1. You receive an email message which is apparently from the mediator. Although that is what is indicated as the sender. You can see that it has actually been sent by “email@example.com”.
2. That very simple message gives you the name of the document and a call to “Review and Sign”. It also provides the names and email addresses of other signatories.
3. Click the tab.
4. Our document comes up on screen as a page indicating how many points you need to sign or initial, and points to the first such point. This could be to initial a change. In most cases there will be only a single signing point – at the end of the document, as usual.
5. SignEasy offers alternative forms of signature when you tick to indicate your agreement to sign. First you type your name, then:
5.1. a pop-up appears, showing your name in four different fonts. You select one of them. Your name then appears automatically in your selected font at the signature point.
5.2. draw your signature just like you do in Paint.
5.3. import your signature file from your hard disk.
By pressing the button “use”, selected signature will be applied You can save these signatures for future use too.
6. Click your agreement and presto, you have signed up. The page then returned confirms that the task is complete and that a copy of the signed document, name given, has been emailed to you. It also sends your “audit trail” which provides proof of signing. We have not investigated the security of this system in detail.
7. If you are the first to sign, then the page returned will indicate that other signatures will be sought. When the last is in place you will receive a confirmation that the document is complete.
8. If you fail to sign within a few minutes, the administrator (the Mediator) will send an email reminder.
9. Once all parties have signed the document, it is complete. A signed PDF copy is emailed to all parties with a signature certificate.
10. This guidance is targeted largely at your involvement with the mediation agreement. However, you can also sign up online to your settlement agreement in any circumstance where you are not together at the time of the mediation meeting.
11. To help you draw your settlement agreement I do therefore provide some “raw legal paragraphs” which you can use as the basis of your agreement if together, you agree to do so. Although this takes the form of the document, it is in fact merely another paragraphs which you will most probably have seen before in other agreements. You can assess them now. Maybe your solicitor can add more suggestions, based on the details of your particular conflict.
SignEasy is no less prone to security disaster than any other company. However, where one of the giant social media companies holds data which is a hodgepodge of mostly useless information, SignEasy stores away legal documents which could be a treasure trove if they were stolen, sorted, analysed and put up for sale on the open market. Inevitably, that involves your data and mine.
We have no particular fear, but since we are working in a market sector where confidentiality is crucial, we think it only fair to draw this to your attention.